E3 2017

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Scav3nger 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

z00lu
    Keymaster

Was sort of expecting a thread to pop up here regarding this event, but since it hasn’t, I will start one by offering my views/experience on what I had seen from the press-conferences:

**Please note I am yet to view the Nintendo presentation.

So keeping this quick and simple given the limited exposure this will likely attract, my overall feeling was towards the underwhelming. I’m not sure what I was expecting to see but I couldn’t help but feel that the use of buzzwords and repetitive sales pitches has worn very thin when it comes to these presentations.

I guess I find the developer presentations better than MS and Sony because there is less sales pitches.

I think I had hope of seeing more to do with Holo Lens and possibly more explanations on how games will work with VR etc.

Highlights for me:
    Xbox original backward compatibility
    Sea of Thieves – still love the look of it and what it offers
    Anthem – Although I hate scripted play throughs, this game seems to have great potential

Other quick notes:
    Forza 7 hasn’t convinced me of anything yet – need to know more about content and features
    Nothing in the PS4 catalogue has got me thinking, maybe I should buy a console
    I’ll get an Xbox One X in about 18 months when I can afford the 4k monitor/and or TV to make best use of it

Will add more below specifically about Nintendo once I watch it, but I still have hope of getting a Switch….

CrashCaderz
    Participant

I don’t think i’ll be Xbox One X at least for a long time anyway as i’m saving up for a PC. A lot of games this year to choose, most of them i’ll be waiting for reviews on post launch.

MRN3
    Participant

Personally i reckon there is gonna be a great gaming lineup ready for the holidays plus early 2018. Im probably am gonna one of those people getting a One X because i already have a UHD4K monitor however other highlights include

– OG Xbox Backwards Compatibility
    – Forza Motorsport 7 (Dynamic Weather)
    – Anthem (Love Bioware games so interested in this title)
    – The Crew 2
    – Ubisoft Pirate Game? ( you guys love AC4 Naval Combat right well here is a game full of it. )
    – Spider-Man PS4 (Gameplay highlight WHY DIDNT HE THROW THAT BAD GUY OFF THE BUILDING)
    – less time spent on just dance

And thats all i have. For now.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by  MRN3.

z00lu
    Keymaster

While Skull and Bones looks pretty good, I like Sea of Thieves more because it just has a different feel about it and I think will have more depth. Skull and Bones seems very much a pirate era based naval strategy game.

Spider Man game did look pretty awesome I’ll admit.
    The Crew 2 – unless they remove the arcade feel of the first one, I don’t think it offers that much.

CrashCaderz
    Participant

Games i’m looking at are FM7, Pcars2, F1 2017, COD, Battlefront 2, Anthem

Scav3nger
    Keymaster

I haven’t watched the Nintendo presentation yet either at this stage. As a general overview I found the Xbox briefing to be the most rounded package. The guy talking about the One X could have been dropped though, because he was saying stuff we already knew about the console. Other than that they had a good balance of firing off some trailers, announcing things, and getting some people to show off some games.

Did Bethesda even announce anything new? I don’t even remember it was that lackluster of a showing. Sony’s show felt clunky, like they’d changed some of the structure of the show last minute. EA’s probably would have put me to sleep if I’d stayed up to watch it. But that’s why they’re in the middle, they’re pretty much predictable in what you’re going to get. Aside from Anthem, but I’ll talk about that more below.

Ubisoft, though they announced a lot of sequels to games I took no interest in, at least fired through them and showed gameplay from the important ones. The dance number was a little out there at first, but once I remembered they were the ones that make Just Dance games it made sense. I was a little surprised with the Mario + Rabbids game, did not expect a turn based combat game at all. The space one with the amiibo ships (spelling?) and parts was a bit of a stretch, I can’t see how that’s going to succeed based on it only being a Switch game. Time will tell.

If I had to rank the shows, I’d probably say Xbox > Ubisoft (surprisingly) > EA > Sony > Bethesda.

I’m liking some of the details coming out about Forza Motorsport 7, we’ll probably have a dedicated thread for that over in the CANZ area. But it seems like Project CARS has indeed kicked Turn 10’s ass into gear and they’re bringing a fair amount of new features to the table (as well as bringing back some old ones). Will it be this generations Forza 4? Time will tell but I definitely agree with a comment I saw recently saying that they’re running out of big new features to implement so they have to start going back to the little things. Like the Auction House. Like I say though, dedicated thread.

As far as games I’m interested in go, there wasn’t really a lot that grabbed my interest beyond a “Huh, that looks interesting”. Definitely reckon I’d also like to pickup a Switch at some stage though, in the flesh they look a lot easier to handle than the videos had me believe.

Also the unification of Minecraft across PC/Xbox/Switch/Mobile is pretty big, looking forward to that 4K Super Duper Graphics Pack for everyone’s favourite pixelated game.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the OG backwards compatibility. Shit is dope as fuck but I don’t think I’ve got any games left after losing my OG Halo: CE disc. Especially since my Xbox was chipped a lot of my games were… ahem… But I’d definitely buy Crimson Skies digitally, the fact it never got a sequel was a disservice.

Games:
    Forza 7 – obvious reasons
    Ori and the Will of the Wisps – I actually threw my hands in the air when I saw Gareth Coker start playing the tune on the piano on stage. Loved the first one, keen to see where they go with the sequel.
    Sea of Thieves – Now that I’ve seen some gameplay, it looks kinda neat. Given there’s not a lot else on the horizon it could be a good buy for a social game.
    Wolfenstein interested me, but I haven’t played the others in the new Wolfenstein series yet, might have to see if I can pick them up cheap somewhere and play through them.
    Project CARS 2 – I’d be remiss for not at least including it in the list. It’s not something I’m going to rush out and pre-order, I don’t do that any more. But it’s still going to be interesting to see how it’s improved over the first game.

Anthem… Here we go again. Soapbox time; but I’m getting sick of this trend of games journalism seeing 10 minutes of heavily scripted gameplay of a new IP which will likely not be close to actual gameplay and touting it as the next big thing. Already it’s being said that Anthem is going to be “one of the greatest games ever”. Same thing happened with The Division, same thing happened with Destiny. Yes it looks nice, yes it seems like it would be interesting to play (I mean, it’s got Sci-Fi elements, it’s right up my alley). But guess what, unless there’s been a stage demo where a developer mentioned it and I’ve missed it, I know literally nothing about the narrative. At least with the Division we knew it was a plague caused by infected money or some shit and you were being sent in to help clean shit up. Destiny was about some space ball that gave people powers to protect some survivors from an alien invasion (or at least that was the original story I have no idea what happened between the reveal and the release). But Anthem hasn’t had anything story related said about it yet to my knowledge. How anyone can be boarding the hype train at this stage is beyond me. I can’t even say with any confidence now that it’s because the BioWare name is involved. Sure it’s their A-Team working on this but after Mass Effect 3’s original ending and the fiasco that is ME: Andromeda I feel their riding on a lot of banked credit for past success. That’s why, at this early stage, it gets the “Huh, this looks interesting” treatment from me, and nothing more. Because boarding the hype train this early leads to nothing but an express service to disappointment city.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by  Scav3nger.

z00lu
    Keymaster

But guess what, unless there’s been a stage demo where a developer mentioned it and I’ve missed it, I know literally nothing about the narrative.

I was keeping my post short but I 100% agree on this – it all looks great from a gameplay and multiplayer co-op perspective but my itch with this is; will this be just another go out complete a mission to enable you to upgrade your Javelin’s etc.

Possibly why I have avoided playing story/campaigns in games as I quickly get to a point of, just ticking boxes as the story isn’t engaging enough….

Also with the amiibo ship game – I saw in the video the ship connected to a range of controllers. Pretty sure there was a PS4 controller and fairly confident the Xbox controller was in it. So don’t think it is specifically a Switch game.

The Nintendo press conference (Spotlight) was very Nintendo and I hope to afford a Switch sooner rather than later. Mario Odyssey looks great and reminds me of the gaming fun I had with Mario64. Nintendo games just have that thing about them – they haven’t forgotten what games are supposed to be. While I do love the possibilities of what developers are doing with games these days, it is great to be able to play a game where fun is at the absolute forefront. Also Nintendo games have their own unique style which I think is the main reason they are still in a position to continue delivering consoles that sell well compared with the big guys.

And in saying that, I guess that is why I am so keen for Sea of Thieves as I feel Rare’s time developing for Nintendo 64 has carried over into this game.

Scav3nger
    Keymaster

I was keeping my post short but I 100% agree on this – it all looks great from a gameplay and multiplayer co-op perspective but my itch with this is; will this be just another go out complete a mission to enable you to upgrade your Javelin’s etc.

I feel a little better knowing Drew Karpyshyn is the lead writer. His track record for BioWare includes Knights of the Old Republic and lead writer for the first Mass Effect so if nothing else the story should be half decent.

And in saying that, I guess that is why I am so keen for Sea of Thieves as I feel Rare’s time developing for Nintendo 64 has carried over into this game.

The only thing I’d be concerned about with Sea of Thieves is whether the gameplay loop would start to get repetitive, hopefully there’s more to it than just sailing out to wreckage or an island finding something and trading it in at the nearest port.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.