Screwed Gamers Homepage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YouTube content for TSG
So attempting to bring discussions from the FB chat over to the forum regarding race replays and other YouTube content to help build the community, here is my take on a few things:

Here is a breakdown of time taken to creat the race replays I produced for RGL:

Footage capture: 30-50min per race
Initial editing: 2-3hrs per race
Graphic content: 1hr per race
Pre-commentary editing: 1hr per race
Commentary: 30min per race (not allowing for any stuff ups where you have to redo it)
Final edit: 30-40min per race
Render: up to 1.5hrs per race (this would vary depending on PC specs)

Then upload to YouTube .......BUT;

In order to have championship standings etc accurate on the video, all stewarding needed to be complete and all database entry upto date. This also meant allowing time to settle any disputes with stewards findings.

At the height of it all, I was doing two races per round with approx 2-3 week gaps, so you add all that up, then try and fit that into your weekly routine.

Going forward, the option of doing it all live via spectator mode will only work with Project Cars unless Turn10 fix the Hud in Forza. Obviously doing it this way and reducing the graphic content to bare minimum will enable replays to be created much faster. This also applies to Rocket League.

Next year if there is any chance for me to do some videos of project cars I will.

OTHER CONTENT:

With the DVR system on the Xbox, we now have the opportunity to easily share moments in games that we could compile for top ten plays and/or fails for various games we play. An example would be someone scoring an awesome goal in rocket league, then getting the Xbox to record it. As soon as possible after that, you can share the video with whoever is compiling them to make a full video of such moments.

But again this needs someone to champion it and make it happen. Obviously it needs to be someone with a capture card. It would mean picture quality is slightly reduced but it's better than nothing.

I could very well do most of these things listed above, but I have dedicated a lot of my time over the past 8 years towards such things, and I have other things I want to do, including game more (something you can't fit in if all you are doing is creating YouTube content like this)

Happy to hear suggestions on different ways forward
As for forza i reckon doing the replays can be possible its just that it would be a bitch of a thing to do

As for ideas on potential youtube vids how about whenever scav does his driver stats for canz we do a video version of that kinda of like a driver profile i also have the same idea for teams but slightly different
Even if those memories make me sad, I have got to go forward believing in the future. Even when I realize my loneliness, and am about to lose hope those memories make me stronger. Im not alone. Because of you. - Rin (Shelter The Animation)

Shelter is so wonderful and beautiful Heart
What you have to relise drifter is its scav and z00lu doing all the effort over the past years...we can come up with ideas and would all like to see race replays back ect, but no one else wants to put the effort in to it...because it's harder than most people think or people would rather race which is fare enough...and unless others are willing to give it ago at making videos ect...I don't blame scav and z00lu for wanting to focus on enjoying gaming rather than content like we use to see. Chaos use to do videos for his league, maybe if he has time he would be willing to give things ago? Or caderz has done a video or 2 in the past? We need to follow hyboi's lead and put your hand up to do things, or like caderz did...if you want a video to be made of a series just go and do it...

Its the same with me on IRacing ...I made my own race videos ect for my series...and while I enjoy doing it...it took time away from family or my own gaming...which is why I decided to hire a out side source.
Yeah i understand all the work that goes into it and i appreciate it (i think we all do) but if you want to i can do it cause i got a shit ton of free time up my hands and stuff.

Also hunter i have done vids before and i know how long its takes and what the pressures are and stuff
Even if those memories make me sad, I have got to go forward believing in the future. Even when I realize my loneliness, and am about to lose hope those memories make me stronger. Im not alone. Because of you. - Rin (Shelter The Animation)

Shelter is so wonderful and beautiful Heart
No one is stopping people from creating content, of course Scav would most likely want to screen it for quality etc (whether it is a video or article etc).

Perhaps look at best ways to share produced content ready for approval? So a TSG Dropbox or google drive folder that people can upload stuff to?? Maybe a TSG preview channel on YouTube where videos are uploaded as unlisted or private....Scav can then preview content and if happy then post it.

A video could just be a bunch of highlights from a players perspective during the Soccar Chamionship season, or a bunch of funny moments while playing GTA online. No need for voice overs either, just some music perhaps and some titles at the start and finish....an article could be a piece on the GTA cunning stunts release providing your perspective on what it is like etc.

I don't want to sound like as arse but unless you have a full time job and a family to take care of, if you can't produce content on at least a fortnightly basis, you are either not trying hard enough, or you have other interests that are more important to you. That is no criticism on those with other interests of course.
That dropbox idea sounds pretty sick, once I finally get a job to have money to buy shit and my internet doesnt keep getting switched on and off i'll help with anything I can with anything not just the yt content
(09-09-2016, 12:38 AM)z00lu Wrote: So attempting to bring discussions from the FB chat over to the forum regarding race replays and other YouTube content to help build the community, here is my take on a few things:

Here is a breakdown of time taken to creat the race replays I produced for RGL:

Footage capture: 30-50min per race
Initial editing: 2-3hrs per race
Graphic content: 1hr per race
Pre-commentary editing: 1hr per race
Commentary: 30min per race (not allowing for any stuff ups where you have to redo it)
Final edit: 30-40min per race
Render: up to 1.5hrs per race (this would vary depending on PC specs)

Footage capture is without doubt the most time consuming part for me for any content, but for racing its about finding where all the battles are and making sure you're not focusing too much on one person and not enough on others. Also replays of moments or incidents that get added in factor into the overall length of the video (as, unlike live content, we cut back to where we were, the action doesn't proceed in the background).

Quote:Then upload to YouTube

A variable that is outside of our control. Unfortunate as it is, taking 2 hours to upload a 30 minute 720p video is just something we have to deal with.

Quote:In order to have championship standings etc accurate on the video, all stewarding needed to be complete and all database entry upto date. This also meant allowing time to settle any disputes with stewards findings.

This is part of the reason why I've moved to reports only instead of investigating everything. And ensuring anyone that wants to report something reports it within 48 hours so we can get the standings updated for most part pending any investigations that may come. This is, again, an attempt to streamline operations to use our time more efficiently. Unless someone else is prepared to take on the responsibility of stewarding the entire race for us.

Quote:At the height of it all, I was doing two races per round with approx 2-3 week gaps, so you add all that up, then try and fit that into your weekly routine.

Combined with a full time job and young family, I think a lot of people took the work you were doing for granted. I know I certainly did until I did the Tier 2 replay in 2013.

Quote:Going forward, the option of doing it all live via spectator mode will only work with Project Cars unless Turn10 fix the Hud in Forza. Obviously doing it this way and reducing the graphic content to bare minimum will enable replays to be created much faster. This also applies to Rocket League.

At the same time though, we need to ensure that what we are doing is still of consistent/improving quality. The idea to stream the finals for Soccar Season I has come a bit late in the day that we may not be able to do it as we haven't had a chance to test it (unless this performance issue with Rocket League causes us to delay the final).

Quote:OTHER CONTENT:

With the DVR system on the Xbox, we now have the opportunity to easily share moments in games that we could compile for top ten plays and/or fails for various games we play. An example would be someone scoring an awesome goal in rocket league, then getting the Xbox to record it. As soon as possible after that, you can share the video with whoever is compiling them to make a full video of such moments.

I made this post back in January asking people to share videos with me for the purposes of creating intro videos and gameplay videos as part of the 2016 game plan.

Quote:But again this needs someone to champion it and make it happen. Obviously it needs to be someone with a capture card. It would mean picture quality is slightly reduced but it's better than nothing.

I'm still prepared to throw together highlight videos but can't go chasing the content for them.
[Image: signature_S5.png]

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
If someone recorded the race through spectator mode and edited out all the non racing bits while we do our thing, it can be quicker than going through the footage in the replay system. Then the c"nt part of doing the graphics of lap counter, position updates every few laps and standings post race.

I think that can be a good way to do the replays for now but who wants to record while we race? and who wants to edit the replays?
The hardest part with Forza is not having the race clock to correctly line up lap counts to race time. I could easily work out based on my POV recording what happened and when if there was just a race timer in the damn replays. Without that if you start jumping around between cars to catch the action it's very easy to lose which lap you're on.

If we do anything video-wise for Forza next year I would say start with highlight reels (like I was doing for the BMW's on Forza 4) and hope that Forza 7 has an overhauled replay system that we can start using to full effect again in 2018. If anyone has all the replays saved from this year (I'm missing a couple now that I've had to delete a few of the older ones) it might be possible to start throwing together some highlights from this years races to at least make a start.

I think if Project CARS works the way z00lu is visualising it the work for that would be cut down drastically as it would just be a case of firing up a livestream or live recording and doing it all in one shot to upload, as opposed to capturing and editing footage together.
[Image: signature_S5.png]

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻