Screwed Gamers Homepage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WEC 2016
The 2016 WEC season kicks off today (17th of April) in the UK. Round one is held at Silverstone and last years season opener gave us a ding dong battle between the Audi and Porsche and a GT fight that lasted right up until the checkered flag.

The 2016 Calendar is as follows:
6 Hours of Silverstone
GBR
17/04/2016

WEC 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps
BEL
07/05/2016

24 Hours of Le Mans
FRA
18/06/2016

6 Hours of Nürburgring
DEU
24/07/2016

6 Hours of Mexico
MEX
03/09/2016

6 Hours of Circuit of The Americas
USA
17/09/2016

6 Hours of Fuji
JPN
16/10/2016

6 Hours of Shanghai
CHN
06/11/2016

6 Hours of Bahrain
BHR
19/11/2016

Not a lot big changes in the driver line ups from last year. Koboyashi joins the Toyota outfit but Audi and Porsche are running the same lineup. Interested to see how the Ford GT goes as well as how Manor WEC perform in LMP2.
[Image: signature_S5.png]

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Not specifically 2016 related, moreso 2017. The Garage 56 Entry for Le Mans 2017 is progressing, a bio-methane powered prototype working on a 3 cylinder 1600cc engine.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/05/05...-pics.html

Quote:Bio-methane is a natural gas that can be appropriately stored when it is condensed into liquid form. This is achieved after being subjected to a pressure of 10 Bar and a temperature of -127°C. One of the several technological challenges for Welter Racing is to keep these two conditions constant in their prototype. "To do so, we will safely store the fuel in a cryogenic tank located between the driver and the engine,” says team engineer Thibault Dejardin. At such temperatures and pressures, the next hurdle is to suitably pump and inject the fuel into the engine. “We are still counting on a 450 bhp turbocharged 1600cc 3 cylinder engine built in-house. It’s lightweight and compact. We haven’t started testing it yet,” he admits.

I'm interested to see how this goes in 2017, and hope it gets a better run than the last G56 car (the Delta Wing) which was crashed out in the first couple of hours of the race.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/06/24...hours.html

Quote:In the closing stages of the race a senior member of the Ford team entered the Risi Competizione garage with a piece of paper, revealed as an official protest over a non-operational leader light on the side of the #82 Ferrari (below), then running second, behind the leading #68 Ford, and ahead of the #69 and #66 Fords.

Ford’s justification for the protest revolved around the penalty doled out to their #66 car overnight for a non-operational illuminated number panel, both items falling into the same area of regulations, and Ford feeling that the race officials were not dealing with the two issues in an even-handed fashion.

That certainly would have explained a protest, but it does not explain why the Ford representative presented the Risi team with what amounts to an ultimatum.

That was expressed in clear terms and went along the lines of. If you promise not to race us for the win then this protest goes away,  If you fight us then we’ll file it immediately.

Anyone who has even the slightest understanding of, or familiarity with, Guiseppe Risi would be able to guess the reaction. The protest was duly filed!

If this is true, which I have no reason to believe it's not at this point, this is huge. Chip Ganassi Racing effectively saying "Don't race us or we'll have you penalised" flies in the face of the history of Le Mans. Perhaps even the history of racing. It borders on being a bannable offence to me. Even ignoring the Balance of Performance dramas in the lead up to the race the fact that Ford felt threatened by a single Ferrari in the latter stage of a race they had comfortably had pace in the entire race is just staggering.

I've never been the biggest fan of Ford or Chip Ganassi Racing, and this does nothing to help that.

The tit-for-tat post race-protests were also fairly childish and it was nice to see race control issue penalties to both teams that did not affect the outcome of the race.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(04-17-2016, 11:14 AM)Scav3nger Wrote: 6 Hours of Circuit of The Americas
USA
17/09/2016

Was a good race this morning. Audi's looked like they were romping away with it in the early stages leaving Porsche and Toyota to fight for the last place on the podium. About 1:30 from the finish the Audi's made pitstops and got caught out by a FCY just after making the stop, allowing the #1 Porsche to jump them. Alex Brundle had a blinder in LMP2 in the first stint, after being sent to the back of the grid for track limit abuse during qualifying he managed to fight back to second in class after the first hour. Unfortunately it was a second place the G-Drive would be unable to maintain but an impressive drive from young Brundle. In the GT's it was all Aston Martin, in both the Pro and Am classes the Aston's ran away with it.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
So Fuji Speedway is next eh?
Even if those memories make me sad, I have got to go forward believing in the future. Even when I realize my loneliness, and am about to lose hope those memories make me stronger. Im not alone. Because of you. - Rin (Shelter The Animation)

Shelter is so wonderful and beautiful Heart
Yep. Last years race was hectic because of rain, hoping for a similar race this year. Bit of rain always spices things up.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
BMW have announced they will be entering the GT class of the World Endurance Championship in 2018.

http://www.fiawec.com/en/news/bmw-to-ent..._4434.html

Quote:“Starting with the 2018 season, we want to further expand our activities in GT racing and compete in the FIA World Endurance Championship... This obviously also includes our return to Le Mans, which we are particularly looking forward to. The way the WEC has developed so well makes us confident that there is a big future for GT racing.”

The GT field for the WEC continues to grow, and comes at an optimal time as the future of several LMP1 and LMP2 teams are under a cloud with regulation changes on the horizon.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
would it be the M6 GT3 car im guessing
Even if those memories make me sad, I have got to go forward believing in the future. Even when I realize my loneliness, and am about to lose hope those memories make me stronger. Im not alone. Because of you. - Rin (Shelter The Animation)

Shelter is so wonderful and beautiful Heart
I believe it'll be the M6, but it would need to be modified to GTE spec rather than GT3.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/pres...f-wec-6980

Audi are withdrawing from the WEC at the conclusion of the 2016 season, opting instead to put their attention towards overtaking operations of the Abt Schafler entry in Formula E.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻